Friday, January 07, 2005

Hindi Film Songs: Best of 2004

I listen to a lot of music. Period. I listen extensively to Hindi film music and also try to follow the non-filmi albums (anything other than remixed). Since the songs have been become readily available online for the past few years, I had gotten into the habit of giving each album a decent ear before dismissing it. I have become a little impatient in that sense nowadays, and have become selective. I like also end up listening to the songs I like over and over again. I love to memorize the lyrics of songs before going to see a movie in a theatre and then sing along at the top of my voice (you should hear me sing to know why that is such a passion for me). Of course, my biggest passion will always remain old Hindi film music, and my music collection and choices reflect that. If only I could remember other things in life as well as I can memorize lyrics!!

One thing that is missing from the exercise is making a ‘Best Of’ collection. I want to try it this one time. I generally find it very difficult to condense a list from such a wide selection. I don't think I can honestly do it for the old songs, but it should be possible with new songs at least. Of course, I take a lot of pride in unearthing hidden diamonds, songs that most people wouldn’t have heard off but which I like immensely. Here’s a list of my favorite Hindi film songs of 2004. I hope you get a chance to listen to the ones you haven’t already. Let me know if you feel there are some that you liked and aren’t on this list. If I like this exercise, I might do it on a regular basis. The songs aren’t listed in any particular order. Some of the movies will be releasing next year (Kisna, Shabd etc) but since their songs have released this year, I am including them.

Song : Tujh sang baandhi dor
Movie : Dev
Music Director : Aadesh Shrivastava
Singer : Sonu Nigam
Lyricist: Saawan Kumar
Why is it on the list? : Sonu Nigam proved his versatility with this song

Song : Hum Tum
Movie : Hum Tum
Music Director : Jatin Lalit
Singer : Alka Yagnik, Babul Supriyo
Lyricist: Prasoon Joshi
Why is it on the list? : Because I am a sucker for lilting melodies, but Kumar Sanu should have sung it instead of Babul Supriyo

Song : Kitni Baatein
Movie : Lakshya
Music Director : Shankar Ehsaan Loy
Singer : Hariharan, Sadhana Sargam
Lyricist: Javed Akhtar
Why is it on the list? : Because it was placed so badly in the movie, I felt bad for it

Song : Jhin Mini Jhini
Movie : Maqbool
Music Director : Vishal Bhardwaj
Singer : Anuradha Sriram, Rakesh Pandit, Sadhana Sargam, Ustad Sultan Khan
Lyricist: Gulzar
Why is it on the list? : Risque, pure, naughty, innocent: the song covers it all

Song : Yeh Rishta
Movie : Meenaxi : A Tale of 3 Cities
Music Director : A.R. Rehman
Singer : Reena Bharadwaj
Lyricist: Rahat Indori
Why is it on the list? : A first time singer discovered by Rehman in London. Terrific rendition.

Song : Saaki
Movie : Musafir
Music Director : Vishal-Shekhar
Singer : Sukhwinder Singh, Sunidhi Chauhan
Lyricist: Dev Kohli
Why is it on the list? : The song rocks

Song : Khul Ke Muskurale
Movie : Phir Milenge
Music Director : Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy
Singer : Bombay Jayshree
Lyricist: Prasoon Joshi
Why is it on the list? : Prasoon Joshi is the most impressive lyricist this year. Bombay Jayshree is selective in rendering Hindi film songs. She selects well.

Song : Bolo To
Movie : Shabd
Music Director : Vishal-Shekhar
Singer : Shreya Ghosal, Sonu Nigam, Sanjay Dutt
Lyricist: Irshad Hamil
Why is it on the list? : Even Sanjay Dutt's rendition of a few shers doesn't spoil the beauty of this song. Picture Ash in the song, I remind myself :-)

Song : Yun Hi Chala Chala
Movie : Swades
Music Director : A.R.Rehman
Singer : Hariharan, Kailash Kher, Udit Narayan
Lyricist: Javed Akhtar
Why is it on the list? : One for the road

Song : Yeh Jo Des Hai Tera
Movie : Swades
Music Director : A.R.Rehman
Singer : A.R.Rehman
Lyricist: Javed Akhtar
Why is it on the list? : Lyrics do the trick, but I think the instrumental version is brilliant

Song : Tere Liye
Movie : Veer-Zaara
Music Director : Madan Mohan
Singer : Lata Mangeshkar, Roop Kumar Rathod
Lyricist: Javed Akhtar
Why is it on the list? : Need I say anything. Second posthumous filmfare after Panchamda got one. The other songs 'Do Pal Ruka', the Qawwali etc. are equally good. Best album this year.

Song : Main Yahaan Hoon
Movie : Veer-Zaara
Music Director : Madan Mohan
Singer : Udit Narayan
Lyricist: Javed Akhtar
Why is it on the list? : Song made-to-order for SRK.

Song : Dhoom Dhoom
Movie : Dhoom
Music Director : Pritam
Singer : Tata Young
Lyricist: Sameer
Why is it on the list? : I don't imagine Sameer wrote the English lyrics, but its ok. The song is here because the way Tata (its a Thai singer, and yes, her name is inspired by THE Tata surname) say 'Dhoom' in her Anglicized Hindi. Sunidhi rocks in the Hindi version too.

Song : Tum Abhi
Movie : Dobara
Music Director : Anu Malik
Singer : Alka Yagnik
Lyricist: Javed Akhtar
Why is it on the list? : Perhaps the least heard off movie on the list. Anu can still compose melodies, though this isn't among his best.

Song : Maine Jisko Chaha
Movie : Fida
Music Director : Anu Malik
Singer : Alisha Chinai, Sonu Nigam
Lyricist: Sameer
Why is it on the list? : What's a year without a typical Anu Malik song?

Song : Chilman Uthegi Nahin
Movie : Kisna
Music Director : Ismail Darbar
Singer : Alka Yagnik, Ayesha I, Darbar, Hariharan, Ismail Darbar, Kailash Kher, Rakesh Pandit, Shailja S
Lyricist: Javed Akhtar
Why is it on the list? : Three important things here. Comeback of the qawwali this year. Ismail Darbar doing well outside Bhansali's realm. Ghai is back with a bang

Song : Tumse Milke Dil Ka Jo Haal
Movie : Main Hoon Na
Music Director : Anu Malik
Singer : Aftab Sabri, Hashim Sabri, Sonu Nigam
Lyricist: Javed Akhtar
Why is it on the list? : As the DJ interjects in this song to inform us: "Wicked"

Song : Kaho Na Kaho
Movie : Murder
Music Director : Anu Malik
Singer : Amir Jamal
Lyricist: Sayeed Quadri
Why is it on the list? : I don't know what he sings in Arabic, but it sounds great

Song : Bheegey Hont Tere
Movie : Murder
Music Director : Anu Malik
Singer : Kunal Ganjawala
Lyricist: Sayeed Quadri
Why is it on the list? : R&B feel and lyrics not suited for kids and their grandparents alike. Believe it or not, this is one of the biggest hits of the year.

Song : Piya Tora Kaisa Abhiman
Movie : Raincoat
Music Director : Debojyoti Mishra
Singer : Hariharan
Lyricist: Gulzar
Why is it on the list? : Superb rendition by Hariharan. The other version by Shubha Mudgal is equally good, and is interspersed with poetry by the great Gulzar.

Song : Fanaa
Movie : Yuva
Music Director : A.R.Rehman
Singer : A.R.Rahman , Sunitha Sarathy, Tanvi
Lyricist: Mehboob
Why is it on the list? : Sympathy vote for Rehman-Ratnam. I was debating between Fanaa and Anjaana Anjaani (wicked vocals by Sunitha) and ultimately played safe

28 comments:

phucker said...

Interesting to see we share film-song tastes as well...I have to re-remember what was released in 2004, and I'll be giving more suggestions to your list... one of my additional favourties (though not many other people's) is "Dil Ko Hazaar Baar Roka, Roka, Roka", also from Murder..

RTD2 said...

Hmm..now I feel really ignorant :) At least u gave me something to do while I spend my weekend mindlessly entering and cleaning data! And hey, while I haven't heard most of the songs in your list, and don't quite know what you'll think of my suggestion, but that song I told u about from Dil Maange More - "Gustakh dil" is really cute. Nice Shammi Kapoor feel to it. Or maybe I'm biased thanks to Shahid :)

RTD2 said...

Ooh, and "Aisa jadoo" from Khakhee. Kickass!

Parth said...

I have to give a serious hear to 'Dil Maange More'. However, I would include the song from Khakee on the list :-) You should try and listen to the songs on the list that you haven't heard yet.

SM said...

wow ...have to say I agreed with you on all of them (I thot only I loved the "Yeh Rishtaa " number:-))...I highly recommend the song "Allah ke Bande"...it rocks the singer is simbly amazing. (I have no idea what movie/album/year though). For now I am hooked onto Shabd...but for me its Khoya Khoya !!

Anonymous said...

I must say, that I had heard most of the songs on your list, yet, got them on a playlist. Also, read through a few of your blogs and find them very interesting reading.

cheers,
-d/

Stone said...

me too a HUGE hindi-(old/new) film movie music fan :-)

1) Ishq hota nahi sabhi ke liye..from Jogger's park.
2) Dekh ley..aankhon mein aankhein daal.. from Munna Bhai MBBS.
Songs of Phir milengay are also nice.

Parth said...

Sarita, the movie is 'Waisa bhi hota hai part II' (weird title) and the singer is Kailash Kher, who has taken over the Nusrat style of songs that there are. Thanks everyone for your feedback, this was fun.

Anonymous said...

Parth,

I believe it's A.R.RAhman, not A.R.REhman!!

An aggrieved ARR fan.

Parth said...

Hmm. No offense, but I have seen both spellings been used in articles. But, point taken. Shall ensure that I use Rehman instead of Rahman for all further mentions. Hope you feel placated :-)

Parth said...

RT, I did like the song 'Gustakh Dil'. However, I think Sunidhi was misfit for this song. It just doesn't suit her. I have heard that the picturization song is good (I am yet to see this movie).

phucker said...

Hey Aggrieved ARR Fan,
Rahman's name is not an English Name. This means that both Rahman and Rehman are fair spellings of his name! Hindi is a phoentic language. It's based on the sound of something, not the letter. The symbols represent sounds! But English being English, is not. So Rahman and Rehman, both represent the same sound! This is the same reason why english spellings in India are usually wrong, because they confuse English with being a phoenetic language too! But the odd part about all this is that 'Pizza', when translated into Hindi is done with the 'j' sound. This is inherently weird, and also incorrect. I guess they are translating the written word Pizza, instead of the Spoken sound "Peetsa". Phew! Sorry for rambling! Finally, Parth, unfortunately Rahman is the more commonly used spelling.... :-)

Mirubh said...

Sacrilege.... dude how can you leave 'Chhodo na mujhey' from the little known movie: Rules (http://www.raaga.com/channels/hindi/movie/H000534.html)? It got shrouded by all the big releases right around it Kunal Ganjawala is definitely a rising star..and has quite a fresh voice, for a change...

30in2005 said...

I'm a music fan but not as ardent as you and most people who have posted comments seem to be. I watched 'Run' recently with Abhishek Bacchan and some new girl. The movie was lousy, dragged on and on for what seemed like eternity, but there was one good song (of which I do not know the name! Useless me!). Will find out and post you on it. It's a great song in a rubbish movie. Isn't that typical!

Anonymous said...

Hey Brazen,
That is a good song - as is "Uljhanon ko de diya" from the same movie. I thought Rules was a 2003 movie...

Parth said...

30in2005, I think the song from Run you are referring to is 'Sarki Chunariya Re'. At least, that's the only song that I rememeber from the album (I haven't seen the movie)

Sachin said...

I am onthis one one with RTD2, realising that i havent either heard most of the songs on ur list. Surely some work to do to go through the list of songs u suggested.
Though since everyone is adding one of their favourites which u seem to have missed, heres one from me, from the movie Kal ho naho, ¨Its Time to Disco¨, song so made for Saif Ali Khan.

Parth said...

'Kal Ho Na Ho' is 2003, as is 'Rules: Pyaar Ka Superhit Formula'

eeesh! said...

hi,
was searching for the lyricist for the english version for dhoom. Absloutely sure it isn't sameer. Am researching the item song phenomenon. Would you know who wrote it?

good work, keep it up!

Parth said...

The lyrics for the English version of Dhoom are by Asif Ali Baig

Anonymous said...

hey, all the songs from Kal Ho Naa Ho are REALLY good. I especially love the title track and "Mahi Ve"

Anonymous said...

I like the songs you have... if these are only movies from 2003 then "Achchi Lagti Ho" and "Baat Meri Suniye To Zara" from Kuch Naa Kaho, "Pyaar Bhara Geet Koi" from LoC-Kargil, and "Tauba Tumhare Yeh Ishare" and "Ghum Shuda" from Chalte Chalte. I know that's a lot but i'm done now. Thanks.

Parth said...

Anonymous: the movie Kal Ho Na Ho was in 2003, hence it did not make the cut. However, your suggestions would have been excellent had I compiled for that year.

Anonymous said...

The last one on your list "fana" from yuva surely rocks.i totally disagree that you had to put it up as it was a mani ratnam-rahman project.Jus check out all the other songs.nothing has the same flavor that fana has.All the other songs were the usual.
And yea awesome wicked vocals by sunitha in anjaana anjaani.That song shouldah made your list.Aint nothin like it that has come out.

Anonymous said...

dear friend
how could you forget songs of "phir milenge"

Parth said...

@Sreejithu: I didn't miss Phir Milenge :-)

Song : Khul Ke Muskurale
Movie : Phir Milenge
Music Director : Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy
Singer : Bombay Jayshree
Lyricist: Prasoon Joshi
Why is it on the list? : Prasoon Joshi is the most impressive lyricist this year. Bombay Jayshree is selective in rendering Hindi film songs. She selects well.

Anonymous said...

Hey Dude parth

I'm looking for a song that I very much liked during a brief stay in b'lore during july 2004 in radio mirchi FM there. I think it came on radio frequently though I liked it a lot, I couldn't remember the lyrics(Though the meaning in the initial lyrics was revolving around taking poison for the love or if love doesn't materialise). Only once I watched a video of that song too. But still I don't remember that many details. Song was good. It started with female's voice with a black outfit but in due course it's also joined by a male voice----probably she was sonali with a new hero. It was an indoor song, there was artificial rain on the 'sheesha'. Can you help me locate it?? Please

Raj said...

Indeed nice post on the songs of 2004.
Web hosting india