Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Blade Of God

The fiend runs in
Thunderbolt in hand
Legs pumping
Arms extended

He hurls it at the
Stationary figure
Serene among the chaos
In a zone of his own

A billion hearts skipping
A collective beat
As the ball hurtles down
At lightning speed

When victory is de facto
And defeat is unacceptable
When a game ceases to be
“Just a game”
When matter of “life and death”
Isn’t just a phrase

In that fraction of a second
When all I said was true
The brute released
A torrent of questions

Then the feet moved
The toes went off the ground
The arms lifted the heavy bat
The cut unleashed on an
Unsuspecting ball

As it sailed into
A jubilant crowd
The ball carried with it
A message clear as day

Mortals won’t win today
For God has taken guard
Batting at number one
For India

P.S> In case it is not obvious, this is an ode to THAT upper cut that Tendulkar hit off Shoaib in the World Cup game in 2003

10 comments:

Ajay said...

Nice! One nitpick. He bats at No. 2 :).

Parth said...

@Ajay: I know, I know. Call it poetic license. I used it for effect :)

Vidya said...

Jai Ho!

(For lack of anything else to say, since I don't know much about cricket.)

Parth said...

@Vidya: Thanks for the show of support, despite the subject matter :)

Sneha said...

Parth - GREAT one! I can't wait for tomorrow morning :-)

Parth said...

@Sneha: Hope you are all pumped up for the finals now! :)

Vidya said...

You'd be proud of me, I watched the entire match...start to finish! Learned (most) of the rules too. :)

Hooray!

Parth said...

@Vidya: I am very proud of you. Well done. If you decide to take a deeper interest in the game and have questions , you know whom to ask :)

Radha said...

love this one!!

Parth said...

@Radha: Thanks!